The Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) is a Central Sector Scheme funded by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. PMEGP is a central sector scheme being administered by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME). The Scheme is being implemented by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- (i) To generate employment opportunities in rural as well as urban areas of the country through setting up of new self-employment ventures/projects/micro enterprises.
- (ii) To bring together widely dispersed traditional artisans/ rural and urban unemployed youth and give them self-employment opportunities to the extent possible, at their place.
- (iii) To provide continuous and sustainable employment to a large segment of traditional and prospective artisans and rural and urban unemployed youth in the country, so as to help arrest migration of rural youth to urban areas.
- (iv) To increase the wage earning capacity of artisans and contribute to increase in the growth rate of rural and urban employment
- During 2019-20, 1116 projects have been grounded by distributing Rs. 3923.45 Lakh Margin Money (MM).
- Projects Sanctioned by Bank – 1031
The scheme envisages 16.2% reservation for SCs, 6.6% for STs, 27% for OBCs, 5% for Minorities 1% for Ex- Servicemen, 3% for physically handicapped and 30% for Women (overall).
|Keywords||MSME, Policy Framework|
|Paper||APPSC Group I 2020 Mains Paper IV: Economy and Development|
|Question||15 (a). Give an account of the objectives of Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) and the benefits received under this scheme.|
|Source||AP Socio Economic Survey|
MSME – GoI Official Website
Unless you know something about the scheme, well structured answer is not possible. From scheme name everyone can infer that scheme is related to employment. But clear cut objectives and benefits are required to be mentioned.