To crack any examination, careful selection of books and resources is a wise thing. An ordinary man cannot study hundreds of books. You are not doing any Ph.D. Any government job warrants a person of ordinary prudence i.e. ordinary wisdom. Hence books and resources are also of ordinary prudence. The following famous quote works perfectly for you.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. – Bruce Lee
Triumph weds you only when you study a limited set of books and do unlimited revisions.
The following are a few books that can be followed. These are generalized books and resources. It is recommended to go through the exam-specific books and resources as well.
Foundation – NCERT Books
NCERT books are the base for any examination. The language used is simple, lucid, and self-explanatory. Based on your command of the subjects, you can selectively choose NCERT books. These are like foundation. Without a foundation, no floors of a building can be built. There may or may not be direct questions from NCERT. But they are a must. Books of Classes VI to XII are helpful.
Technical Subjects (Engineering, Medical, etc.)
- Strictly follow the syllabus given in the notification. Based on the syllabus of the exam, go through the graduation standard textbooks. Guides are not recommended. This is your base. Do not read all graduation books. Just stick to the syllabus.
- GATE books expand your knowledge. More application-oriented questions are your priority.
- Practice previous year question papers.
- Click here for ‘How to Study Current Affairs for Government Exams?’
- The Hindu Newspaper
- Eenadu Newspaper (For Telugu and State level news)
- ETV News @ 7 AM or @ 9 PM – Mostly, political news are covered. However, one or two important government-related news is also covered. If you don’t have sufficient time and if you are already following newspapers regularly, then ETV News can be skipped safely.
- AIR Spotlight @ 09:15 PM
- Economic Survey of India (Latest)
- The budget of India (Latest)
- Socio-Economic Survey of AP/TS (Latest)
- The budget of AP/TS (Latest)
Polity and Governance
- Indian Polity – M. Laxmikanth
- Governance – Newspaper Articles
- Important Topics: It depends on the syllabus for the examination that you are preparing for. But the most important chapters are
- Fundamental Rights, DPSP, and Fundamental Duties
- Executive, Parliament/Legislature, and Judiciary
- Emergency and Amendment procedure
- Panchayati Raj Institutions
Indian History and Culture
- Ancient India – RS Sharma (Old NCERT)
- Medieval India – Satish Chandra (Old NCERT)
- Modern India – Grover & Grover (S.Chand Publications)
- Indian National Movement – Bipin Chandra (Useful for writing descriptive type answers)
- India After Independence by Bipin Chandra
Andhra Pradesh and Telangana History and Culture
- History of Modern Andhra Pradesh (1858-2016) by P Raghunatha Rao, 2017 edition.
- History and Culture of Andhra Pradesh – P R Rao
- History of Andhra (Modern Medieval and Ancient) – P R Rao
- The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 Official Document
- Telangana History-Culture – Telugu Akademi
Geography and Environment
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography – NCERT Class XI
- Fundamentals of Human Geography – NCERT Class XII
- Indian Physical Geography – NCERT Class XI (India Physical Environment)
- Indian Human Geography – NCERT Class XII (India – People and Economy)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong
- Ecology – NCERT Class XII Biology (Last 4 chapters for Ecology)
- AP Geography – SCERT or Telugu Academy Books
- TS Geography – SCERT or Telugu Academy Books
Economy and Development
- Indian Economic Development – NCERT Class XI
- Introductory Macroeconomics – NCERT Class XII
- Introductory Microeconomics – NCERT Class XII (Read at least summary of all chapters)
- AP/TS Economy – Socio-Economic Survey of AP/TS (Latest) and The budget of AP/TS (Latest)
Science and Technology
- NCERT Class VI to X – General Science Books
- Latest Technological Innovations that appear in the news
Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude – Chronicle (Civil Services Chronicle Edition)
- Indian Polity – M. Laxmikanth
- Different Official Laws Documents – Analysis and Interpretation
- Do NOT read any book. Practice a few essays and get them evaluated by experts, seniors, and peers.
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Kumar (or) Quantitative Aptitude by R.S.Agarwal
- Logical Reasoning by R.S.Agarwal
- Languages (English, Hindi, and Telugu) – Matriculation Level SCERT or Telugu Academy books
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- High School English by Wren and Martin
- Important Topics:
- Geometry and Mensuration
- Time, Distance, Work, and Speed
Books that are to be read with Caution
Books that are to be read with Caution – These books and resources should not be studied as a whole due to less Cost-Benefit. However, these books can be referred to get the whole picture of a few topics.
A list of official websites that are useful for your preparation is consolidated.